Today were going to look at a few suggestions when attempting to witness to Unification Church members. Yesterday we started looking at some tips when witnessing. We discussed praying to God for guidance and asking Him to soften their heart. We also talked about staying humble and loving when sharing your faith. Lastly we started looking questions we can ask that may get our Unification Church friend to think. That’s where were going to pick up today.
Ask good questions
Yesterday I mentioned that Sun Myung Moon taught that his book Divine Principle does not contradict with the Bible. Let’s spring board off of that idea and ask some questions. Let’s get them thinking.
- Do you believe that the Bible is the inspired inherent word of God? – My hope is that they will answer yes. If they don’t perhaps you should spend some time showing them the amazing evidence of the divine authorship of the Bible. Check out my series on the Evidence for the Divine Inspiration of the Bible if you have questions. http://youthapologeticstraining.com/category/new-christians/evidence-of-the-divne-inspiration-of-the-bible/
- Should we reject any doctrines that contradict the Bible? – I’m hoping they answer yes…if not refer to the commentary above.
- Can you show me where the concept of True Parents is explicitly taught in the Bible? – The key word here is explicitly. If this doctrine of True Parents is so important to God, we should see it taught plainly, clearly and often. It’s not there.
- Can you show where the Bible explicitly teaches the concept of indemnity? – Again, This should be all over the Bible and in easy to understand language if it was as important to God as Moon taught. It’s not there.
- Where in the Bible can we find the concept of a twofold (spiritual and physical) fall of humanity? Again, we don’t see this concept anywhere in the Bible being plainly taught.
- Where is the idea of Eve having sex with Satan found in the Bible? - It’s a pretty bold claim to say Eve did this bazaar and wicked thing. Why can’t we find it being taught in an obvious and clear way?
- Why should we believe that Moon is the second coming of Christ when the Bible is clear that the second coming is definitely Jesus? – There are so many scriptures proving this point it’s not even funny. Here are a few…and if you want millions more, google “scriptures on the second coming”. You will have so many, you’ll wonder how anybody could possibly claim otherwise.
Mark 14:61-62 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? (62) And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
John 14:1-3 (this is Jesus speaking) Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. (2) In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. (3) And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
Act 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
Acts 3:19-21 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (20) And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: (21) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Are you aware that the Bible says that Hell is eternal (never ending)?
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. The very same word (aiōnios ) that is used for heaven is used for hell. In other words, you will either spend eternity in heaven or hell.
Mark 9:43-44 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: (44) Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Don’t attack Moon right away
Going after Sun Myung Moon may be seen as racist or persecution. Try to establish a friendship before you try questioning Moon’s character to aggressively. And when you do move in on Moon and his character, make sure you are tactful. Be humble, respectful and loving.
Try to introduce them to new Christian Friends
Coming out of a cult is very difficult. Make sure you surround them with a good, solid support group that they can lean on as a family if they decide to leave the Unification Church.
Bring them to the Gospel
Galatians 1:6-9 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: (7) Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. (8) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. (9) As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
They need to understand that the false gospel that Moon presented is not found in the scriptures. It is a false gospel and places the believer in the category of accursed. This is not a good place to be. They need to also understand that the concept of indemnity is not found in God’s Word. They need to understand that a twofold fall and the idea of True Parents are not found in the word. After they see this we need to show them the real gospel as given to us in our Bibles.
Jesus died on a cross as a substitutionary sacrifice, paying the punishment we deserve. He was buried and three days later, rose from the dead bodily and now sits at the right hand of the Father. By confessing our faith in Him and trusting in Him we will be saved from the eternal punishment we deserve.
If you are an ex-unification Church member or have some useful insight into witnessing to those in the Unification Church, please contact me.
Tomorrow we will start a new series on the Youth Apologetics Training podcast. Come and join us as we learn to defend the Christian faith.
Here’s the entire mp3 podcast series on the Unification Church, ready for download.
Or check out the Youth Apologetics Training Podcast Archive.