Why do some people believe that the universe was designed for life? Today were going to continue looking at the Anthropic Principle and the fine-tuning of our created universe. We’re going to be discussing some of the reasons why many people believe in an intelligent designer. Keep in mind that with each successive factor or challenge that a random universe must overcome, the prospect of this universe arising from an accidental explosion becomes more and more improbable.
- The expansion rate of the universe: If the rate at which the universe started it’s expansion was a millionth slower, the universe would stop expanding and collapse on itself.
- Matter and Antimatter: The proportions of matter and antimatter at the moment of creation have to be accurate to one part in ten billion or there would be no universe.
- Gravity: The force of gravity cannot be altered by more than 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001% or we would have no stars or planets.
- Mass density of our universe: The mass density of our universe could not be altered by more than one part in 1060 in order for life to exist.
- Centrifugal Force: The orbits of the planets in our solar system are perfectly balanced. The force of gravity and the centrifugal force counteract each other perfectly to produce our orbits. Without this balance, life would not be possible on earth.
This is just a small sampling of some of the constants that lead many scientists to believe in intelligent design. For more examples than you would even want to consider, check out the following websites.
Tomorrow we will continue discussing the Anthropic Principle and the fine-tuning of our universe.
Here’s the entire mp3 podcast series on the Anthropic Principle, ready for download.
Here’s the entire mp3 podcast series on an introduction to the evolution and creationism, ready for download.
Here’s the entire mp3 podcast series on the age of the earth, ready for download.
Or check out the Youth Apologetics Training Podcast Archive.