We’re going to be talking about the Anthropic Principle and the fine-tuning of the universe today. What are the chances of extraterrestrials evolving or existing somewhere in our universe? What evidence do we have that our universe has a designer? Today were going to be looking at several challenges that a planet must overcome in order to be habitable.
Many of the factors we will discuss come from the book “Show Me God” by Fred Heeren.
In order to be habitable:
- The planet cannot belong to a binary or multiple star system.
- The star must be the right size. If it is too small the planet will need to be closer. This will result in the tides being too high and thus the planet will slow down. To large and the star would have burned itself out before life could have evolved (assuming macro-evolution could happen).
- The planet must be .83 to 1.2 solar masses in order to have a habitable temperature.
- The planet should have a large planet nearby with a circular orbit that can block incoming comets.
- The planet must orbit at just the right distance from its sun. If the planet is too close, it might cause the planet to overheat or stop spinning. If the planet is too far, the planet could freeze.
- The planets gravitational force must be just right for life to exist on it. If the planets gravity is too strong the life forms would be crushed under their own weight. If the gravity is too weak, the planet would be unable to retain an atmosphere.
- The planet must have a mass of .85 to 1.33 of the mass of earth in order for the planets temperature to permit life.
- The planet must be part of a double planet system. In earth’s case, we have the moon. The moon keeps our planet anchored in place and keeps us from crashing into other nearby planets.
- The planet must be able to retain its carbon dioxide. Because earth’s crust is just the right thickness, carbon dioxide that gets trapped under the crust of the earth, is released during tectonic events.
After sampling a small portion of the challenges a planet must overcome to support life, it’s easy to see that life existing outside of earth is highly improbable. Tomorrow we will continue to discuss more factors that hint at an intelligent designer of the heavens and the earth.
Here’s the entire mp3 podcast series on the Anthropic Principle, ready for download.
Here’s the entire mp3 podcast series on an introduction to the evolution and creationism, ready for download.
Here’s the entire mp3 podcast series on the age of the earth, ready for download.
Or check out the Youth Apologetics Training Podcast Archive.